1. Conundrum – a confusing and difficult problem or question.
Synonyms: enigma, mystery, problem, stumper, cruncher
Antonyms: solution, clarification , explanation
Usage: Trying to solve this conundrum is really making my head hurt.
2. Provocative – tending to provoke or stimulate
Synonyms: annoying, irritating, exasperating, infuriating, maddening
Antonyms: soothing, calming
Usage: The purpose of the con artist’s provocative speech is to inspire us to give him our life savings.
3. Vindicate – to clear from an accusation, suspicion or criticism
Synonyms: acquit, absolve, exonerate, exculpate, discharge, liberate
Antonyms: convict, blame, incriminate
Usage: Don’t even try to use your charm and good looks to vindicate your obnoxious behavior last night.
4. Venerable – worthy of respect because of age, position, or dignity
Synonyms: august, distinguished, acclaimed, celebrated, revered
Antonyms: disreputable, dishonourable
Usage: The title of country president should only be held by a venerable man who has earned the respect of his countrymen.
5. Sagacity – ability to make good judgments and decisions
Synonyms: wisdom, intelligence, understanding, judgement, acuity
Usage: The coach’s sagacity enabled the team to win.
6. Reverence – honor or respect felt or shown
Synonyms: acclaim, admiration, approbation, favour, recognition; worship,
Usage: We can never show enough reverence for our military service workers.
7. Querulous – full of complaints; complaining
Synonyms: petulant, pettish, touchy, testy, tetchy, waspish, prickly
Antonyms: affable, genial
Usage: I asked the querulous students in my classroom to put down all their complaints in writing.
8. Precocious – having mature qualities at an unusually early age
Synonyms: advanced, forward, mature, quick, developed, untimely
Antonyms: backward, slow
Usage: Because William was insolent to the principal, he got suspended from school for three days.
9. Jubilation – a feeling of great happiness and triumph.
Synonyms: exultation, triumph, joy, rejoicing, elation, euphoria, ecstasy
Usage: unbelievable scenes of jubilation
10. Inevitable – certain to happen; unavoidable.
Synonyms: unavoidable, inescapable, inexorable, unpreventable, assured
Antonyms: avoidable, uncertain
Usage: The changing of the seasons is an inevitable aspect of the Earth’s climate.